Date Posted
29 Aug 2024

Visit website

PhD Project
Hanyang University

¬MSc, or MSc/PhD (combined) or PhD positions

29 Aug 2024

NOTE: this position listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!

Position Description

MSc, or MSc/PhD (combined) or PhD positions available for HYU March 2016 intake
Research Area:
Cell Biology, Neurobiology, Neuroimmunology, Cancer Biology, Computational Biology – check more at:

Full scholarship provided (read through to the end of this info letter)


HEESE, Klaus, PhD
Graduate School of Biomedical Science & Engineering
Hanyang University

Department of Information Systems
College of Engineering
Hanyang University

our university only accepts online applications ! (printed documents need to be sent after completion of online application) – thus, you have to go through this time-consuming process ….
for online application, check under:
go to: ’ Admission’ —→ Prospective Students (all infos are provided in English)
e.g. to do application, click on: ‘01 Application procedure’ -→ ‘online application’
next intake: for next semester starting: 01/03/2016
application deadline: online application: around 14. – 23. September 2015 – check regularly online !!
(online application and hardcopy (print) submission required, check the details carefully)
you would need to check regularly not to miss the application period which is open only for a short time only (about 7 days) and announced at the HYU homepage just a few days before the application opening …
You would need to have a GPA of >80% to have good chances for a competitive application

during the application process, ensure to select the correct graduate school :

Professional Graduate School: Biomedical Science and Engineering
(not Graduate school department Engineering, and also not Graduate school department science)

your first selection must be :
Professional Graduate School: Biomedical Science and Engineering
Under this, there might be another sub-selection (Science or Engineering – here you select Science !) — you may need to select as Major: Science (not Engineering because it may affect later the courses you can select) – Once you have decided the department, you cannot change it anymore !!!

1) HYU scholarship provides 50% coverage for international engineering and science students – you must apply for this, anyway, it is Basic scholarship for foreigners with good CGPA from HYU and covering 50% tuition fees.
2) while you may also apply for HISP in parallel – but the HISP is extremely difficult to secure and requires a GPA of >90 or >95% – it is usually easier to get by students form Humanities ….. If your grades are very excellent you can try to apply in parallel for this HISP (Hanyang International Scholarship Program) which covers then 100% tuition fees.
3) Other option is the GSIS International scholarship for the combined MSc/PhD program, – it may cover between 50-100% tuition fees and sometimes also living costs – case by case and by competition …. You can apply for this in parallel to the scholarship mentioned under 1) (but you need then to go for the combined MSc/PhD program !) – it is highly recommended to go for this program because it costs you the same time as if you would go for PhD only as there would be the same requirements in terms of research – you must publish 3 SCI papers. Academic requirements are a bit more, but that is minor problem anyway and won’t really affect you. As a strategy it is highly recommended to apply for the combined MSc/PhD program because the chances to get full tuition fee coverage is higher compared with the normal PhD program – and the time you need to get your PhD or combined MSc/PhD is actually the same and depends on the time and efforts you spend on your research. The academic credits you need are more for MSc/PhD but all can be done within 3-4 (max 5) years. The time depends on your efforts and the time you spend on research.
4) KGSP (giving excellent scholarship money support); but probably only open once a year for the application period around April for the intake in September – for more details regarding this scholarship, see further down ! it is hard to predict the chance to get it, seems to be highly competitive and it might be better to apply via Korean embassy (or consulate) in your home country.
English TOEFL test (or similar) is highly recommended to give English knowledge proof – exception might be possible by personal interview (online / Skype)

Questions for
– admission,
– insurance
– 1-time admission fee
– tuition fees (can be covered by scholarships),
– online application,
Lee Sunjin (Mr.)
Office of International Cooperation
Hanyang University
222 Wangsimni-ro, Seongdong-gu

Seoul 133-791, Korea
Tel. +82 2 2220 0046
Fax. +82 2 2281 1784

Questions regarding Research:
Contact: Prof. Klaus Heese

KGSP info:
Check also alternative scholarship options with better scholarship (though you need to pass first a Korean language course before embarking on the MSc and/or PhD course):
Korean government scholarship is basically much better as it covers tuition fees and living costs and small but some pocket money – but requires also 1 year Korean language course before starting a combined MSc/PhD program or PhD only program (the combined MSc/PhD program has higher chances for obtaining 100% tuition fee coverage scholarship).

and check:

to apply:

Check and follow this links to go to the message No 60:
—> English version -> GKS menu -> notice -> click no.60

a) if you can only secure a scholarship that covers your tuition fees, then living costs would need to be covered by our research grants which is limited and thus also competitive … if you have private personal support (for tuition fees and/or living costs, e.g. by your parents) then you chances for admission are also a bit higher.

b) you may also check with your local Ministry of Science about options of support – any support (e.g. for living) is better than no support!

A research proposal, if needed, could be provided from our side. It is recommended to come up with some ideas from your side though you may not do this project but it shows us your science understanding …

Here, you would need to do bio-computational and/or wet lab research and/or combined.

Here, for your PhD graduation, the requirements are usually to publish during your PhD time 3 papers in journals that are indexed as SCI or SCI-E before you can get the PhD degree. That is for all students.
Not too difficult, but requires to be focussed for 3-5 years, depending on your efforts.

Somewhere along the application procedure / process etc 2 more points are mentioned at HYU:

a) English Test (Toefl or similar): you can be exempted if you can prove your English language qualities to be able to follow English classes and research discussions (e.g. by phone or skype interview) – you may , though, take extra class held in English by an American Professor here – anyway, if you join here you are going to take one if his classes because there are not too many classes in English for you.
b) 10 000 US$ (or similar) money deposit in your family or proxy bank account to show that you can cover living expenditures – you can be exempted somehow if you can secure full scholarship (plus living costs coverage) and our professors’ signatures.

How to Apply

refer to: or

Position Category: Medical & Biological Sciences. Position Type: PhD Project.